Google+

Wednesday 22 December 2010

A Challenge for the New Year

I have decided to set myself a challenge for next year. But before you get too excited it isn't anything particularly exciting...nor do I know if it will really be a challenge.

I decided the other day to set myself a weekly writing challenge on my other blog - The Life of Writing [do feel free to head over there for more information]. Anyway as I was saying before I started advertising myself I then thought I could do a challenge on this blog.

But what to do, what to do? Trying to search for challenges to do is fairly difficult without seeming like you are copying people. So there I am searching and I came across a challenge that quite a few people have done before me and no doubt other people will accept the challenge at the same time as me and after I have [hopefully] completed it.

So the challenge is to read 52 books in one year, luckily for me I looked in to it as the New Year is fast approaching so 1st January 2011 will be the start date.

Now I have no idea whether this will be a difficult challenge or not. When I first thought about it I realised that I know that I have read quite a few books this year...but I have absolutely no idea how many. I could go and count the ones I have read...they are dotted all over the place. But I won't get a true figure, as my head will be filled with random thoughts as ever.

Did I read that book this year? Ooh what was that one I read? With the thing? And the people? Where did I put it? Have I ever read this book?

Now the only difficult part on 1st January will be deciding which book to start with. I have a stack of about fifteen books next to my bed right now. And when I have been asked what I wanted for Christmas at least five of the suggestions were books.

So I am now frantically trying to make sure I get the anthology that I am currently reading finished so I can start afresh in the New Year.

Other people who have taken on this challenge before me have suggested reading whilst you commute...to wherever it is you are going. Now I will find that difficult...as if I try reading whilst travelling in a road vehicle I start to feel sick. I don't know why that is but if I try reading a book,  a newspaper, a magazine or whatever I start to feel nauseous. It is a shame that I can't get the train to work as I like reading on the train.

So the plan would be to read one book a week. But some books I will no doubt read faster than others. And they could be from any genre, fiction or non-fiction, although I don't think I'm going to count any books that I read for research in this...unless I sit down and read the entire thing in one go, rather than dipping in and out as I see fit...well we'll have to see.

So tune in on 1st January 2011 [where did the year go?!?!] and I will let you know what book number 1 is.

And by all means take on the challenge yourself if you want to...

No comments: