Google+

Saturday 26 February 2011

Nifty Fifty Blogfest - My Top Ten

First let me just say I am very eclectic. And my fashion sense isn’t much different. I draw from several different decades one of which is the 1950s. I listen to the music, am inspired by the fashion, hair, make up etc.

I think it is in my blood. My Grandparents all grew up in the 50s. Well they were all born before the 50s, but that decade was really when they went out and about, meeting people until they came across each other and fell in love etc.

So for the Nifty Fifty Blogfest over on Impossible Dreams in which you had to write a post based of the theme of the number 50, I have decided to tell you some of my favourite songs from the 50s.

By the way the artists might not be the original recording artist this is just the version or one of the versions that I prefer from the 1950s [the links should take you to Youtube so you can have a little listen]. And it took me ages to decide what order to put them in - I couldn't decide which I preferred.

10. Great Balls of Fire – Jerry Lee Lewis [1957]

9. That’ll be the Day – Buddy Holly & the Crickets [1957]

8. At the Hop – Danny & the Juniors [1957]

7. Little Bitty Pretty One – Thurston Harris [1957]

6. Shake, Rattle n’ Roll – Elvis Presley [1956]

5. Splish Splash – Bobby Darin [1958]

4. The Great Pretender – The Platters [1955]

3. Hound Dog – Elvis Presley [1956]

2. Mack the Knife – Bobby Darin [1959]

1. See Ya Later Alligator – Bill Haley & his Comets [1956]

So there you have it - my entry in to the Nifty Fifty Blogfest - Enjoy!

11 comments:

Anstice Brown said...

Hey Chippy, thanks for participating! I love the 1950s too, it was such an elegant classy decade for fashion and manners, but they were just starting to experiment with 'wilder' things like rock and roll. I love the songs you picked, they are all so catchy and upbeat. It was such a great era for happy songs you could dance to. I think my favourites are See Ya Later Alligator, Great Balls of Fire and Shake, Rattle n Roll.

Angela Scott said...

I love the fifties. I mean, that was a time when men where men and women were women (if that makes any sense). Super fun.

My favorite songs: Splish Splash, and anything by Elvis. (My grandpa had the Elvis collection. Like 5 records of his greatest hits and when my grandfather passed away, I was given those records. I used to play them all the time).

Nice to meet you through the blogfest. Great post. (Newest follower).

Arlee Bird said...

Born in 1951, I spent my younger days of childhood in that decade so I remember well those songs--except "Little Bitty Pretty One". That's a new one on me and I don't recall ever hearing of Thurston Harris.
Why didn't you go for the top 50 songs? :)

Lee
Tossing It Out

Chippy said...

When I looked up 'Little Bitty Pretty One' I was informed it recorded by Thurston Harris in the 50s. It's on the soundtrack of 'Matilda', which is how I first came across it.
I had other songs I was going to add only to discover they were recorded in the 60s.
It took me long enough to decide what order to put 10 songs in, so with 50 songs I'd still be at it in 2 months time!

Louise said...

I think my favourite would have to be Mack the Knife, I love it.

I wrote about the 1950's too for my Nifty Fifty post, such a fun time :)

Holly

M Pax said...

I enjoy listening to Buddy Holly and Elvis. A gal down my street was so obsessed with him. I remember her just sobbing on the school bus the day he died.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! Your entry is the most original I've seen.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Love them all. I was born too late LOL. 1960, but I love 50's music.

Ellie Garratt said...

This reminded me of a couple who used to babysit me during the early 80s - they loved all these records. Loved your entry!

Nifty 50 Blogfest

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great collection of songs!

Stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party!

Anonymous said...

oh yes, i grew up hearing those songs on the radio whenever my parents and I drove down the shore for vacations.
personally, i'm a big fan of The Four Seasons, which i think peaked more in the early 60's. I took my mom to see Jersey Boys on broadway and it was phenomenal!
Nice to meet you fellow lady blogger. :-)