Google+

Friday 16 December 2011

Have I Read this Somewhere Before?

The day of the do-over is here! Hosted by Nicole and her blog One Significant Moment At A Time all you have to do is:

"...on December 16th all of those taking part will re-post their favorite blog offering, or one that never received the exposure it should have..."

It took me a while to trawl through my blog posts from the nearly two years to find one that I thought should have a second airing. I thought about presenting you with the first part of A Tale Of Five Fish but that is the first of a five part series so I decided to go for a stand alone post.

So I settled on this post from 4th December 2010 (you can see it in it's original glory state here).

I give you Snowpocalypse!



I got up on the 1st December 2010 to discover everywhere had turned in to a winter wonderland. Well more winter than wonder really.


I quickly found out that I would have to walk to work as all the buses in the area had been suspended. So on the 1st of December I set off just before eight in the morning and walked to work. The snow was so deep in places it almost came to the top of my wellies. And I measured them and my boots are 14 inches high.


It took me 45 minutes to walk to work in which time my feet had gone numb. Which was good in a way as it meant I couldn't really feel the two large blisters on my heels developing. However once I arrived at work and I began to heat up I soon knew that they were there.
And then I had to limp all the way home again a few hours later. My place of work closed at midday as there were few of us who had actually managed to get to work.


I awoke on 2nd December to find out that once again I would have to walk to work again. But my wellies didn't come with me this time. Oh no, not again. So this time I wore my shorter but more comfortable walking boots to work.
The previous night a snow plough had gone down our road and so there was now a thin strip of road that was more or less free of snow. As the pavement was still a foot deep with snow I decided to walk down the middle of the road.
And so there I was before eight in the morning. Walking down the middle of the road, with not a single person in sight. I felt like I was in a disaster movie of some sort. It was ten minutes later when I hit the main road before I saw another person.
And then as I got closer to the town centre the more 'survivors' appeared as we all seemed to drift towards where the last of the population was gathering.


Now I have told you about my encounter with near apocalypse I have two things I wish to mention.


1) Compeed blister plasters are fantastic - the regular plasters I was using did nothing to help, I might as well not have bothered. But the Compeed ones are great - they do exactly as they say on the tin...and I haven't been paid or given anything to say that it is just my opinion.


2) Now this is just a minor rant at how stupid some people can be. The snow may have been dispersed a little so it isn't quite as deep on the pavement however it is still almost impossible to walk on the pavement so you have to risk your life walking down the road now that there is more traffic about again.
Why?
Some of my neighbours have decided to clear their driveways to get their cars out. What is wrong with that I hear you say?
Well they have cleared the snow by shovelling the snow to the sides. So you walk along the pavement and then suddenly you are faced with a wall of snow that is almost two feet high!
So you manage to navigate your way around that one...and then you come across another one, and another.
Some people have no common sense whatsoever. Just as long as they are OK everyone else can go to hell. Now I saw some people who cleared their drives who were putting the snow behind the driveway gates - that is a good idea as you have cleared the drive but not built an obstacle course in the process.


End of rant!


Hope you enjoyed reading about my past adventures in the blogosphere - and for those who've read this before how was it second time round?

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Last winter was pretty impressive in terms of snow (I live in MA), so sympathize with your travails--and it makes me thankful that (apart from the 10/29 freak snowstorm) this year has been much milder so far. *knocks wood*

Ciara said...

Growing up in the south, I can't imagine living like this. How do people survive all that snow. I get crazy being cooped up for one day inside. :)

Juliann Wetz said...

I think my heart stopped when I opened your blog post and saw the picture of snow. I am so not ready for winter. I read your tale of walking/wading/struggling through snow and it brought back memories that made me cringe. Snowpacolypse is definitely the right name for it.

Margo Kelly said...

Snow. I actually like snow, unless I have to drive in it or be out in it. haha. It's just pretty to look at, through a window, while sitting next to a fire.

:)

Lydia Kang said...

I used to hate that about living in the city--those walls of snow from the plows would make it impossible to walk down the sidewalk!

Julie Flanders said...

I'm a new follower through the fest, great to meet you and discover your blog! I almost had a heart attack when I saw the snow pictures, I'm a total wimp about winter. Great post! :)

Colin Smith said...

Living in NC (Southern US), we don't get snow nearly as often as I would prefer. The last time we had a deep snowfall, the snowplows came down the road and blocked up all the driveways with snow. Not only did we have to work on clearing our own driveway, but we had to shift the ton of snow now blocking the entrance!

I hope you're having a better winter this year. :)

LynNerdKelley said...

Yes, I actually did enjoy reading this post. Brrrrrr! Snow is tough stuff to move. Nice to meet you during this blogfest!

Lost_without_a_Map said...

I have a solution for you...lol. By a snow blower and next time you encounter a snow wall, simply blow it back down into their driveway. =D

Vicki Rocho said...

I admire you for taking the initiative to walk to work rather than calling in like most people would.

I hate snow. I used to hate walking to and from school because there were always a few houses that didn't shovel at all and their walks were ice-coated.

stu said...

But if they ever decide to introduce the hurdles to the Winter Olympics as well as the summer ones, we'll win easily.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've lived in places that received that much snow and sometimes it was eerie going out.
And try doing that on a bicycle. Even more challenging!

Jay Noel said...

Here in St. Louis, we had a huge snow storm system come through on Dec. 11 and 12 of last year. It sucked!!!

Anonymous said...

I also re-posted something weather-related.

I grew up in the North, but I don't remember anything like the Snowpocalypse. I hope I'll never experience anything like that.

Theresa Milstein said...

We haven't had a snow yet. You're not making me look forward to it!