Google+

Friday 13 July 2012

Book Review: Not Wicked Enough


DISCLAIMER: I received Not Wicked Enough by Carolyn Jewel free as a First Read on Goodreads

I haven't reviewed a book for some time... and even then I wasn't particularly good at so I'll keep this brief.

This was my first historical romance, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect (although I assumed that there would be some steamy scenes… and I wasn’t wrong).

Basically our heroine – Lily – goes to visit her recently widowed friend. On arriving there she meets her friend’s brother – Mountjoy – and the sparks begin to fly.

Lily isn’t your stereotypical HR heroine (as far as I know) and I was a little unsure of her and Mountjoy at first, but I began to like them both more as the story went on.

Both parties are trying to avoid becoming involved with each other for their own reasons. But this soon fails. Then they try to keep it as a brief affair until the time comes for Lily to leave, but Mountjoy starts to become more emotionally involved.

Banter flies back and forth between the two. They can both be very stubborn, although Mountjoy seems slightly more willing to concede, which I liked about him. The story is more from Mountjoy’s point of view – you get more of a sense of his emotions than you do of Lily’s. He sometimes forgets himself when he is with Lily in the presence of other people whereas Lily seems able to keep the two relationships (public and private) separate.
It was these aspects of Lily’s personality that had me wondering, at some points how the relationship would work. Would Lily change her mind about love or would she run for the hills as soon as Mountjoy revealed the slightest emotion?

The sub-plot involving Mountjoy’s brother - I kind of saw it coming. And the sub plot involving Lily’s cousin, I knew all was not as it seemed with him but I couldn’t quite put my finger on what.

I thought the story was very well paced; it didn’t drag on but it also didn’t feel rushed. The balance between sex and story seemed to be about right. We got a good sense of the main characters and overall it was a good read.

4 stars out of 5 on Goodreads

This review can also be found on Goodreads.

No comments: