Google+

Monday 17 September 2012

Genre Favourites Blogfest

Today Alex J Cavanaugh is hosting the Genre Favourites Blogfest.

And all you have to do is:

List your favourite genre of:
Movie
Music
Books
And a guilty pleasure genre from any of the three categories! 
Now I've had to think quite a bit about this. I always find it difficult to decide on favourite... whatevers. This was probably slightly easier than the more specific dreaded questions of 'What's your favourite film?' or 'Who's your favourite author?'

So in the end I started thinking of it as 'if I could only watch/listen to/read one genre of film/music/book for the rest of my life what would it be?'

And here are my choices:

Movie

This was difficult because I watch all kinds of films. I like what would be called classic films from the 30s, 40s and 50s. I like rom coms and comedies. I like some kids movies and adventure movies (speaking of which I really hope the Uncharted film gets made!).

But in the end I had to go with action movies - I like explosions. I like gun shootouts and car chases. And as you can see from this photograph I like Nicolas Cage movies.


Music

This was also difficult to narrow down as there probably aren't all that many genres of music that I don't have at least one example of on my MP3 player. This is not the point that you should start suggesting obscure types of music (although, yes, I do happen to have some neo-classical metal on there).

So I ended up choosing the sort of music you see in the photograph. Which I kind of find difficult to categorise. Because it is kind of Rockabilly - The Baseballs are Rockabilly... but Michael Buble doesn't really fit in to that genre. But he is kind of 50s/60s/Jazz/Sinatra style which sort of comes under the same kind of thing as the Dreamboats and Petticoats. But you get the gist, right?

Books

This was slightly easier to narrow down than the previous two categories. Although I read quite a few genres of books as well - chick lit, horror, classics, autobiography, history etc.

But in the end I chose crime. I chose that 'description' so that I could lump Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie in with Karin Slaughter and James Patterson.










Guilty Pleasure

It was actually very easy to choose my guilty pleasure. I was going to just say the Anita Blake books by Laurell K Hamilton (the first of which coincidentally is called Guilty Pleasures).
But then I decided to expand that slightly to paranormal urban fantasy, as I am looking forward to the fourth House of Comarre book by Kristen Painter coming out in October - Yay! (And I have got quite a lot of urban fantasy on my 'to read' list on Goodreads).


To read more entries in to the Genre Favourites blogfest click the link to Alex's blog at the top of this post. 

For those of you who have also taken part - was it as hard for you to choose your favourites as it was for me?

14 comments:

Ellie Garratt said...

Some cool choices. I love Dreamcoats and Petticoats, and have seen the stage show twice now.

Unknown said...

nic cage is not bad, he just gets put into bad films... cannot wait for national treasure 3...

Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Explosions - good reason to select action films!
Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

Chippy said...

Jeremy - there's going to be a National Treasure 3? Yay!

I wanted to put The Punisher in my DVD photograph too... but my brother has borrowed it. He's also borrowed Transformers - is that action as well? Genres blend and merge so much these days!

Sherry Ellis said...

It's hard to choose favorites, isn't it? I like your selections, though.

Golden Eagle said...

I'm a huge fan of Doyle's works! I almost mentioned crime in my post just so I could bring up Sherlock Holmes. :P

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

"I like explosions." Awesome!
Great choices. :)

LD Masterson said...

Crime is good, a nice way to bring together a few similar genres. But I really liked your reference to the classic films of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Some pretty great stuff made back then.

Anonymous said...

Nicholas Cage was so nearly my guilty pleasure! I love his movies.

Sabrina A. Fish said...

I love Nicholas Cage. FACEOFF being one of my all time fave movies. And I share your love of Anita Blake. Have you tried Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series?

Picking my fave genre's in those categories turned out to be pretty easy for me. What can I say? I like what I like. *wink*

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Chippy. No, it was pretty easy for me to pick my list. The answers will surprise considering I'm a professed horror writer! In any event, thanks for sharing, and enjoy that Stephen King book you're reading.

-Jimmy
http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

J.L. Campbell said...

I'm with you on the action movies. I read my share of crime novels but like romance most of all.

Tamara said...

I love almost every movie you posted!! Other than that, we didn't have any faves in common but i did notice that you're reading Carrie. Classic King. Can't beat it. I'm a huge Stephen King fan. :)

And yes, I had an extremely hard time picking out my favorites! I'm just hopping around the bloghop list, enjoying finding cool new sites. I'm a new follower btw. It's nice to meet you!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I enjoy paranormal UF, as well. And definitely adventure movies!

Also, btw, love how you're keeping track of road tripping after the A-to-Z. You've reminded me that we haven't done a check-in in quite awhile. Thanks!

My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures