Google+

Monday 29 October 2012

Monstrous Monday Blogfest


Aargh!!! Tis Monstrous Monday.

And there was you thinking you'd only be seeing monsters on Halloween.

This blogfest is being hosted by Tim Brannan on his blog The Other Side today. All you have to do is post something about monsters.

Now I like to think that I went to the Buffy The Vampire Slayer School Of Monster Killing. In the event of a monster uprising I will probably go for the Buffy methods of dispatching them (or be hiding in a cupboard in the foetal position whimpering).


Now I have The Monster Book that lists all (or most) of the monsters that appear on the show... only I'm not 100% sure where I've put it. It's probably hiding with The Watcher's Guide somewhere.

But not to worry I can remember most of the details of the monsters I want to mention (and I can look up any I can't remember - thank you internet). On Buffy The Vampire Slayer (and Angel) there was a wide variety of monsters that were not just restricted to vampires, werewolves and witches.

So I'm going to share what I think are some of the slightly more unusual monsters that Buffy went up against (not all of them obviously - The Monster Book is at least 500 pages long - after all we don't have all year!).

One of the creepier monsters that I vividly remember (even though I haven't watched it for a while) were The Gentlemen.

 

They appeared in the episode 'Hush'. Basically they steal the voices of everyone in Sunnydale and then go around cutting people's hearts out. They can be killed by the sound of a human voice - which makes their heads explode... hence the voice stealing. They float about a foot off the ground and grin constantly - very eepy-cray!

Another freaky monster from the show was Der Kindestod who showed up in 'Killed By Death'.

Der Kindestod lurked in the hospital killing sick children and can only be seen if you have a fever.


In my opinion it looks like Freddy Krueger on steroids. If you think it looks freaky here you should see the picture that appears when you click the link to the episode!

And just one more before I give you nightmares. Now this monster shows up in several episodes of season four.

Adam is basically a mish-mash of demon and mechanical bits that have been put together as part of Maggie Walsh's experiment to make super soldiers.

 

Because he is made up of various bits he has a variety of weapons/advantages over we mere mortals. And he wants to take over the world (The Gentlemen and Der Kindestod seem content with just killing people).

He's a tougher enemy to bring down - screaming and fevers/neck breaking won't cut it here. No ,this one involves magic and super human strength.

I think that's enough nightmare inducing photos for one post don't you?

If you click the link near the top of this post you can go over to Tim's blog and check out other people's monstrous posts.

(All pictures came from the Buffyverse Wiki)

10 comments:

Tonja Drecker said...

I was a huge Buffy fan! I'd forgotten all about these monster. Thanks for the reminder :)

Tina said...

Never watched Buffy, but I think the scariest are those voice stealing guys...eepy cray is right!
Tina @ Life is Good
http://kmdlifeisgood.blogspot.com/

S. L. Hennessy said...

The Gentleman episode is one of the best shows ever written. It's Joss Whedon at his best. And what seriously creepy monsters. They terrify me.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Ah, I miss Angel. Now he's a FBI dude. Oh well.

M Pax said...

Yay for Buffy! There were lots of creepy things in that show.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Very creative monsters. I'm sure Buffy was up to the challenge.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Very creative monsters. I'm sure Buffy was up to the challenge.

Yolanda Renée said...

I loved Buffy and have all the tapes of her shows. Forgot all about those wonderfully creepy monsters, she did a good job of getting rid of them. Will have to pull those videos out and have a Buffy Marathon!

Thanks for reminding me!

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Great entry!

I used to be a fan of the show, but not so much anymore.

Thanks for participating in my blog hop.

Jeremy Bates said...

Ah, the Gentlemen. I watched every episode of Buffy. That was one hot chick, but she always looked different. Anyway, Angel was a wuss played by a poor actor and a character I despised on the show.

Maybe they'll make a remake of the show as they have remade everything else! lol

Have a good monster hunting day!