Google+

Friday 12 April 2013

K is For Kabaddi


Today's definition is:

kabaddi n a game in which players try to touch opposing players but avoid being captured by them.

Now I had never heard of this game before and the above definition doesn't really give a lot away does it?

So I looked up a more in depth definition.

And then I looked it up on YouTube - this link is for a video of India Vs Pakistan in the Kabbadi World Cup last year (it does last an hour so if you want to just see the game in action start it at about 5.30).

It looks to me like a (probably) more complicated version of tig (or tag in the US) - but I don't even pretend to know all the rules.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There is an NPR commentator who recently wrote an etiquette book...darn I cant recall his name...anyhow he plays this all the time and wrote a very funny piece about it...the book is called "Would it Kill You To Stop Doing That?"

Jo said...

Not sure I didn't see something on TV about it, but I wouldn't have recognised the word in a million years.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Jo said...

What an odd game. Seems it's played in England too, there is a YouTube video about Gravesend Kabbadi.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE