Google+

Wednesday 24 April 2013

U is For Ululate


Today's A To Z Challenge letter is the last of the vowels (and another one of those feared letters) - U

Now looking through my dictionary I hadn't realised how many words there are that begin with 'ultra'. But I eventually came to the end of them and arrived at my previously unknown word beginning with U:

ululate (yewl-yew-late) vb literary -lating, -lated to howl or wail [Latin ululare] ululation n

This is one of those words where I'm not entirely sure whether or not I have heard it before. But it did take me a couple of run ups to be able to pronounce it - it's a good thing this definition tells you how to pronounce it.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Yup I knew that one, funnily enough it was in hubby's crossword and I was explaining its pronounciation to him.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE